What Have We Here? by Billy Dee Williams

Synopsis:
The personal testimonies of a celebrated American Actor.

Writing Style: Traditional. Commercial.

Pacing: Very Measured. 

Personal Highlights: Haha! And so, what have we here? Well, firstly, it took a month, or more, to read Billy Dee’s memoir. This may very likely be one of longest times I’ve stayed with one book. Lots of names and movies and plays and scripts were dropped, along with the many women Mr. Williams has loved. I stopped taking notes because I couldn’t keep up, except to note I am no connoisseur of the Hollywood and Broadway legends. That’s for sure. I was a kid when Lady Sings the Blues came out, which was when the gorgeous Mr. Williams landed on my radar. 

And yet there were, overall, other takeaways from Billy Dee’s life story.

He, in general, is a lover of life …and women. I didn’t know he was a painter. And my brows were really raised learning he was doing his thing in an era I hadn’t associated with him. The way he handled racism, bravo, for him. I was as well intrigued reading about his relationship with Jimmy (James Baldwin), and similarly taken by the way he shared how he learned what his father did all day. Just beautiful. And powerful. “Chandelier, baby. Chandelier.” His advice. “Be kind. Curious. Fall in love. Live while you can.” Loved it! Read hardback 2024 copyright edition.

Comments

Popular Posts