Little Failure by Gary Shteyngart

Synopsis:
A personal writing journey...and testimony. 

Writing Style: Poetic. Commercial Literature.

Pacing: Moderate.

Personal Highlights: The writing grabbed me first..and foremost. Lyrical, tight, rigidly risible the long winding...and winded choleric sentences took me on a page-turning ride through wintry Russian culture and a balsamic childhood largely comprising of blips and clips assimilating in the U.S.

Spots where I paused and lingered to gawk, laugh or paw over; The cucumber quip...the food stamps mention... the sweepstakes incident...his father's shutki... and his several readers around the world ([sic]/pun). Overall, it was Igor's writing motivations ...and lessons learned that moved me most. Lionizing little Lionya in his books, like his memorializing an uncle stomping on one of his books really tipped me over, given his innate fixation to write professionally. But what happened at the Chesme church? I missed that one, but didn't miss the advice literary professionals gave him! A classic! ...And personally for me, a keepsake.

Comments

Popular Posts