Chasing History by Carl Bernstein

Synopsis:
Memoir of a kid falling in love with chasing stories around the D.C. corridors and landing a professional career in journalism.

Writing Style: Commercial Journalistic 

Pacing: Semi-fast to Moderate

Personal Highlights: The historical purview of 'Chasing History' lured me in, but most engaging was following 'the kid's' excitement (before finishing high-school) working for the 'Evening Star'. Typing 90 wpm... taking dictation and the dated processes and mechanics it took getting local news into print, rubbing elbows with people and events by way of the precious press badge...all of this kept the pages turning nicely. 

Favorite spots and quips to pause and gaze over; 'the altercation between Epstein and Al Baker'... 'the Brenda Starr romance and Junior Village incident' ...and 'Mr. Moore's obit'. Shaking my head on that last one. Like DAMN, laughing out loud. A few quotes among many as well caught my attention. Especially restorative was "I noticed that he did more book-and-reading research than most local reporters... and I could see the dividends." 

I don't know why but for some reason I kept typing 'changing history'. Perhaps this is what made 'Chasing History,' as engaging a read. Read hardcover 2022 print edition.

Comments

Popular Posts