Uphill by Jemele Hill

Synopsis: Reflections and Experiences of a Popular Sports Journalist

Writing Style: Passionate.  

Pacing: FAST.

Personal Highlights: Wow. I first learned of Jemele when she was doing His & Hers with Michael Smith. I'm not into sports, but my husband is, which was through him with the TV blaring in the next room, while I was trying to write, that led me to investigate whose balmy voice I was hearing. Short story shorter, I loved her beautiful voice, talking knowledgeably about sports. The camera loved her...she seemed polished...down-to-earth...all that. Journalism being one of my top interests I was impressed, why after the online turmoil I hoped one day she might write a memoir. Almost a decade after first seeing her, here it is!

Like so many stories she hails from humble beginnings. From start, to the tail end I was team MOM! "...remember, you came out of me, I didn't come out of you." I'm so glad Jemele wrapped up the aftermath of that journal episode the way she did because I was on the floor hollering long before she did. That story was so well-written...so visual. I as well laughed with Mike's comment on a His & Hers episode; "stupid stuff men do to impress women," along with the last line he clipped on. But my favorite pauses to linger on, was the proposal from Ian, and her meeting the Obamas.

Those brief entertaining moments aside, the overall tone of 'Uphill' is no laughing matter. Like so many young people, Jemele's frustrations with society were palpable. Her struggle expressing what she felt was hard to read, why it was easy seeing the wisdom in mom's messaging vying to help a child she loved navigate society's plot twists from her field of view. This one is a must. Highly recommended.

Comments

Popular Posts