The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

Synopsis: Memoir of a redeemed childhood

Writing Style: Straightforward, Well-written!

Pacing: Fast

Personal Highlights: I really loved this memoir!!! A winner for sure! That's for starters.

So, what took so long to read this popular memoir published 2005...that has been in my bookcase for YEARS!?!

I.don't.know because every single element of this memoir...from start to finish…  impressed me. The writing. The reflections. The tone. The story. Everything.

Make no mistake about it. Jeannette had a rough childhood, yet the way she delivers her experiences totally won me over. Initially I was on the fence about what was happening in the home. Her parents humored me in parts and not all of their perspectives were entirely off base... that being until things weren't so funny.

But Jeannette does a  phenomenal job telling her story in short meaningful chapters. True. 'homelessness is not so black and white.' And even truer. 'Life is a drama full of tragedy and comedy.' I mean, making her own braces!? I just cried when it came to Mrs. Sander's offer... and the outcome. I agree with John as well, "everyone who is interesting has a past" or just as fitting in this case, "the best stories come from those with an interesting past!" There is so much more I want to comment on, because there is so much more to this account. What a DAMN GOOD MEMOIR! Highly Recommended!!!

Comments

Popular Posts