Beg, Borrow, Steal by Michael Greenberg

Synopsis: Clips of a Writer’s Life 

Writing Style: 1st Person, 'Old-school' American Literature

Pacing: Fast.

Personal Highlights: I don’t know how I missed this one but it’s been on my DNF shelf for years! 

The writing is (of course) idyllic. Each chapter is short but rich. I particularly related to the opening and respected the varied narrations on the Jewish faith. Mom was a treat and the convos with Dad a treasure. The ‘Trip South’… as in to Buenos Aires and the ‘Final Word’, along with ‘Beg, Borrow, Steal’ were other appealing nuggets. I couldn’t wait to read the latter chapter… just to see if I read into that title correctly. I did. 

Overall, I couldn’t get enough of the eagle-eyed, sometimes dry humor. I laughed hardest getting to ‘Another way of Starving’. Be your own boss and you’ll starve nicely; now that’s real humor. It kind of put a little sobering salve on ‘to receive distinction one’s failure must be total.’ This is a classic for sure. Highly recommended!  

Comments

Popular Posts