The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison

Synopsis: A novel of perception depicted through many jaded eyes, of which one pair, a young girl called Pecola, wishes for blue eyes.
Writing Style: Classic Literature
Pacing: Fast
Personal Highlights: Hands down, or raised, without question this historical time-piece is well-written. I’ve never read anything framing ugly in as much hypermyopic detail, and be so beautiful. It was a challenging emotion to manage, why I largely credit the writing. As far as the story, I admired the conversations most; Ms. MacTeer’s voice and the chit-chat around Aunt Jimmy’s homegoing especially. I couldn’t get enough of them names, vernaculars, and historical references. The brown girl depictions tickled me. Cholly… and Polly’s story… was moving. The Afterword I did not read. This poetic story needs no explanation. It is deeply sad, completely moving, tremendously well-written and, of course, beautiful as is. Not that this already lauded tale needs my recommendation, but staying true to what I do, I of course too, highly recommend reading it.

Comments

Popular Posts