the Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl by Issa Rae

Synopsis: A collection of memories of a young girl of mixed cultures growing up in West Africa and the US.  



Writing Style: Short story fashion 



Pacing: Moderately fast 



Personal Highlights: I picked up this adventurous memoir looking for a good laugh...and honestly, to read for what would be the first time, a self-professed awkward memoir written by a black girl. While the writing is generally entertaining, I fell out the chair laughing at that “I get down.” Before getting to the punchline, and before all was said and done, soon as I read, “I get down,” I knew without further prompts what was coming next. Oh man! I laughed so hard on that one. Our adventurous memoirist indeed did get down, hahahaha...still screaming picturing it.

Overall, the Misadventures of Awkward Black Girl reads more like the average insecure female, than a young awkward black girl; well worth the read for that unbeatable ending. Yeah, I really liked the ending. What a mature assessment, and kind of funny to boot.

Comments

Popular Posts