Desperate to Be a Housewife by Meg Bortin

Synopsis: Desperate to Be a Housewife is an engaging memoir of a young woman looking for love, and stumbling on a fascinating journalism career.

Writing Style: Journalistic.

Pacing: A page-turner.

Personal Highlights: Initially, forgetting I was reading a memoir, the playful cover had so deluded me that the first few pages had me believing the account would be as frisky. I was right and wrong.

"Mona" is on a `desperate' soul-searching quest. This is the search where some find themselves pivoting between what nature requires of all species, and what cultural diktats challenges us to follow. The plentiful sexual dithers weren't spurious insertions. That was nature, and not cultural biases playing that `tick-tocking' clock in her ear.

Aside from the haircut, which admittedly I fell out the chair laughing, it was Mona’s journalism career that I found most exciting. It truly brought so much perspective to her journey.

Potential Audience: Highly recommended for anyone who loves journalism, or is on a soul-searching quest.

Comments

Popular Posts