The Crisis Before Midlife by Mario D. King


The writing may jar readers who nick easily reading basic raw sentences snapped together, but just don't let this sway you from giving this one a try.

I liked the story. Yes I did. Sort of reminded me of hip-hop movies that came out in the 90's starring comedians like Martin Lawrence and Eddie Murphy, except reading this type hip-hop in book format made the experience ten times greater.

I absolutely loved the way the characters were treated, each of them, from Malcolm's (Mac) daughter, to mom and dad, his mother in particular, though dad wasn't all parsley, especially giving his relationship with Mac, and that ending making for the extra treat.


I also found it interesting reading how much energy the young men put into finding `the right lady.' I mean, these guys spent quite a bit of time worked up into thinking about`the one' they would settle for. The trips to the altar, Pastor Taylor, the physic (too comical), and even taking wisdom from the friend (William?) who was happily married, were nicely woven into the story. But can I throw in how much I simply adored Chris, who was just plain ridiculously hilarious!!! Actually, the humor all the way around was entertaining. The female characters too, I really admired--very likable, even if I was behind the book near shouting, `forget what he thinks! Check the sex credentials first!'

...And I'll be dern it, sure enough, if I wasn't on to something, aside from none of what I was on ever spelling out in the story. But it was what had me rooting, or rather on pins and needles, all the way to the very end where a Martian on Pluto could've heard my cheering the woman who got the man! Oh man! That was so, so, beautifully drawn out...the best part... what made reading The Crisis Before Midlife FUN well spent!

This debut novel is definitely worth a try.

Comments

Popular Posts