Blessed Life by Kim Fields

Synopsis: Personal experiences of a child TV Star.

Writing Style: Warm. Comfortable.

Pacing: Fast.

Personal Highlights: Kim, aka Tootie from ‘Facts of Life’ and Regine from ‘Living Single’, popular 80’s/90’s TV sitcoms, writes about her experiences in a way easy to curl up with. I really enjoyed her mom’s style, hauling her into bathrooms for pep talks and doling out the quotes, such as one of my favorites, “you’re walking around like your behind weighs a ton.”

But I also liked Kim’s inner spirit. She’s a good girl... spiritually grounded... Christian... who doesn’t like conflict and by reading her memoir, seems centered, thanks in part to her mother, but as well due to who she is. I, however, did chuckle at Ruby Dee’s comment about that poem she wrote. I think Mrs. Dee (as in Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee) really meant it when she said, “that was too much.”

Also heart-warming was another quote I fell in love with; “Blessed are the peaceMAKERS, not peace keepers.” I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Kim’s experiences, none more so than her times at Pepperdine University. I related to the feeling of facing all the courses colleges offer and having to pick one. It’s, in part, why I got a kick out of her ‘coming to Jesus moment’ when she initially pursued journalism and reporting. My admiration for journalism is what made me respect her reaction. So, of course I adored how she found her niche and graduated from Pepperdine.

Like many who go through this journey we call life, Kim is no different experiencing her fair share of bumps and bruises, though her journey makes for more interesting reading, given she began her journey a child celebrity. Nice Job. A solid good read. Highly recommended.

Comments

Popular Posts