And Still I Rise by Doreen Lawrence

Synopsis:  Memoir of Baroness Lawrence of Clarendon, OBE, a British Jamaican and mother who seeks justice for her son.

Writing Style: British memoirish lit

Pacing: Moderate.

Personal Highlights: This was a very tough read, for a number of reasons. Interesting enough, what drew me to read this memoir was happening to catch Baroness Lawrence being one of many interviewed during the Duke and Duchess of Sussex televised wedding. Fleetingly I overheard a woman mention how she wished people would stop focusing on race. The woman was speaking about the 'race' of the Duchess of Sussex being mentioned more than once. The woman, who at this point I glanced up to notice was a black woman, referenced England's 18th century Black Queen, Sophie Charlotte; the next line that caught my attention. Out of everyone interviewed, this woman was the first person I heard point out such a relevant historical reference. Perhaps, I thought, this woman had written a book where I might find more relevant references, which I ended up having to watch the whole televised royal nuptials, at least twice more, and not at all a bad thing, before learning the name of that woman.

That woman turned out to be Baroness Lawrence. And what grabbed me most about her story was picking up on what gives birth to keen types of insight and perspectives.

Comments

Popular Posts