Listen to the Squawking Chicken by Elaine Lui

Synopsis: Memoir of a popular Online Canadian Gossip combing through her relationship with her mother, and her mother’s vociferous beliefs.

Writing Style: Smooth. Delicate. Simply Beautiful.

Pacing: Fast. A True Page-turner.

Personal Highlights: The writing style won me over. I needed to read something powerful, yet easy on the psyche. This story met that need. Not too much. Not too little. From the start to that gorgeous closing I loved the Squawking Chicken, and the skill applied to delivering a view of a woman that reminded me (in spots & Oh Boy)... of me. Read it in a day.

The historical references. The myths and superstitions. The customs. The depth and sheer breadth of storytelling. The tone. The humor. The hypocrisies and the many, many messages, and many more lessons... all of this is neatly, and I politely insert, cleverly melded in unembellished, humble, brilliant writing. I was too tickled about Elaine having to call her mother for her birthday, to thank her mother for giving birth to her. The rationale behind this expectation not only set the tone of this engaging memoir, but indeed bestowed a very interesting premise. Very!

I found myself laughing out loud... a lot too. The dancing child. “You sure?” and the “Red Hooker Head” along with the Feng Shui Blackmail ... Triangle Head... and I fell out laughing at the Homewrecker incident. It’s one thing to be a homewrecker, but to call the wife. OHN!... The Squawking Chicken called that one right...like her view on friendship, although I got Elaine’s point too. What a beautiful marriage of diverse points of views. WoW!

I could go on and on serenading the many moving parts of this memoir when the point is clear. From the episode around Barbara Yung to the bragging, and Jacek (Elaine’s husband), a gem... and Elaine’s dad too, another gem... along with the plethora of Cantonese language and phrases; the Low Classy bit... to boe-doe-ing... lau see... dim sum... mah jong... yee duk gung duk... all properties of the Squawking Chicken delivering powerful messages that I got and...GOSH...yes so LOVED. A realist. Down-to-earth. What is, is. What a way to celebrate ones’ mom. Again, WoW! Superb. I foresee this memoir making my top 10 reading for the year. Highly Recommended Must!

Comments

Popular Posts