The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man by James Weldon Johnson

Synopsis: The Autobiography of an Ex-Colored Man is the telling comportment of a perceptive young boy who believed he was white, and who later has a choice to make; whether he wants to live his life as a black man or a white man.

Writing Style: Eloquent Lit.

Pacing: Fast.

Personal Highlights: From start to finish I was drawn to the storytelling which is not just great, but grand. The merits of ‘Ragtime’ music, and the cake-walk, were revealing. The differences described between London and Paris titillating. And on top of the plethora of ‘race’ discussions between the ex-colored man and aristocrats like himself, I was bowled over by the premise and the decision he faced... and ultimately made... and why!

The story encouraged me to look into books such as ‘Monte Cristo’, ‘The Three Guardsmen’, and ‘Uncle Remus’s Stories’; possibly to add to my reading list. It also had me looking up the ‘Wedding March’ tune, which yes, I had heard before, but now can associate the classic classical calypso with this reading.

I must say it again. What an empowering novel!

Potential Audience: Everyone. Highly Recommended.

Comments

Popular Posts