Damascena by Holly Lynn Payne

The Good. What a beautiful cover, and title. I fell in love with the poetic name, Damascena (would love to know the pronunciation), and just like that easily slipped into the story.

The Mmeh Okay. The reading experience was a first for me. It was quite unique, like reading 12th century prose dressed in 21st century chestnuts. I think I was like the girl. Suspended in a spiritual cauldron I ached wanting to see the mother too. Thought I caught glimpses of her along the way as I read, but could never be for certain as there was much to divert my attention.

...which leads to The Best Part. The writing voice is so smooth it honest to goodness felt like a piece of heaven lay in my lap. Not even the harsh realities telling of gossips and jealousies, or events such as poor Tanner, and the butcher’s wife, Shams, Ivan and most notably the forlorn life of Damascena could weigh down the wispy spirit attached to the voices. The roses were thematic and a wonderful ploy to elevate the magic; as were the poems and the poet Rumi. Overall the writing is what grabbed me. The story truly epitomizes what caring about a story and its characters really means. I highly recommend it. It is simply a must to experience.

Comments

Popular Posts