Big Little Man by Alex Tizon

The Good. This is a thoroughly enjoyable memoir. Alex's reflections are deep and poignant. The research is impeccable, kind of leaving me to feel as if I have a lot more reading and film watching to do, despite considering myself an aficionado of both.

The Mmeh Okay. Alex drew me into his argument; particularly during his citation of Asian films and male actors, or lack there of. I found myself behind the book `silently' screaming "Jackie Chan! Jackie Chan!" I love Jackie Chan. He is one of the most, if not the most, charismatic and intelligent actor I've ever seen on screen. And I know it's not only me who feels this way. Maybe the films he's starred in aren't up to `par' in accordance with a majority ranking, or perhaps it's missing the point by generalizing Asians in a simple context, but that's just it... which further along Alex does an excellent job elucidating how following what's popular being a prime peccadillo to marginalizing grandeur overlooked.

And still, the Best Part is the writing! I couldn't get enough of the writing. It's eloquent... refined... it dances. "...pockets out--immigrant poor" and "those teeth. I still see them" along with that `hinterlands of the field' and many, many more euphemisms I simply treasured. The parallels he draws to `Land of Giants' is tremendous. He nails the `American Premise.' Laughed to tears about him pulling out that ruler. Oh my goodness, really? The many cases and references he cites... just on and on this smoothly goes, the makings of a remarkable journalistic memoir. I highly recommend Big Little Man.

Comments

Popular Posts