Gal: A True Life by Ruthie Bolton


The writer did a remarkable job keeping Ruthie's voice real. Heartbreaking, horrid, painful memories... took me back to the Color Purple... and I mean right back to the Color Purple!

Reading Gal might make some turn pages so hard that pages rip from the book. Getting through the first few sections I wasn't sure I could finish this one, but then midway through Gal shifted... or maybe I shifted, picking up on a message Ruthie seemed intent to deliver. And sure enough, there it was... nearing the end of Clovis's life this feeling was captured and confirmed. Ruthie needed to tell this story. There truthfully is so much in here... incredibly organized, tastefully detailed, and not all pain and tears either. I'm still too tickled about Luther... especially by the way Ruthie (mere) mentions him near the end, and that conversations between her and Mrs. Millican, and the connection made between she and Mary... whoa! What a powerfully inspiring note to end on.

Comments

Popular Posts